It’s no secret that replacing a roof can be a costly and disruptive process. So it’s no wonder that we try to put it off as long as possible. However, replacing an old or damaged roof is essential to the overall health of your home, and you never want to wait too long before doing so. Carranza Roofing & Remodeling is dedicated to ensuring that you have all of the information you need as a homeowner to determine the state of your home’s roof and if/when it needs to be addressed. So here are some tell-tale signs that your roof needs to be replaced:
- The shingle edges are curled or the shingle tabs are cupped.
- The shingles have bald spots where granules are missing or have worn away.
- Cracked shingles
- If your roof is 20 years old or more, you might need to consider a replacement roof. Shingles today are produced for durability, but there are plenty of factors that can accelerate the aging of your roof.
- If your neighbors are getting new roofs, it could be an indicator for your home. Homes near yours are typically build in the same time frame and also experience similar weather conditions.
- Your roof simply looks old and worn.
- Dark streaks across the roof. Airborne algae is a common problem in older roofs and can cause dark streaks on roof decks. Although this may not necessarily damage the roof shingles, it isn’t very attractive. It can be cleaned off accordingly using a 50:50 blends of water and bleach and a low-power hose, but if the algae is a prevalent part of the roof, it may need to be replaced for complete removal.
- Unlike algae, moss can cause major issues with a roof. If your roof doesn’t get much sunlight and sits in a cool, moist area, you might be battling with moss. Moss holds unwanted moisture against a roof and can damage the granules on the top of the shingles in freezing temperatures. It can be brushed off, but can’t be prevented from growing again. As a result, the lifespan of a roof might be shortened if it is prone to moss growth.
Overall, despite all of these tips, the basic rule of thumb is that if your roof looks old and warn, it probably is old and worn. And the best way to prevent an old roof from causing damage to other parts of the home is to have it replaced. If you are still unsure about the state of your roof and whether you need to replace it, contact Carranza Roofing & Remodeling today by calling us at 610-270-0305 or by visiting our website.